Among them are chain stores, including a Starbucks coffee shop, a Rite Aid pharmacy and, since December 2011, an Apple Store.
This includes M42, a "secret" sub-basement under the terminal that contains the AC to DC converters used to supply DC traction current to the tracks.
At its unveiling in 1914, the 48-foot-high (15 m) trio was considered the largest sculptural group in the world.
The upper-level tracks are reached from the Main Concourse or from various hallways and passages branching off from it.
Unlike other Metro-North stations, Grand Central Terminal is not owned by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, but by a private company known as Midtown TDR Ventures.
Although the terminal has been officially called "Grand Central Terminal" since the present structure opened, it has "always been more colloquially and affectionately known as Grand Central Station", a name of one of the earlier railroad stations on the same site.
Its interior has restaurants, such as the Oyster Bar, and various fast food outlets surrounding the Dining Concourse on the level below the Main Concourse, as well as delis, bakeries, newsstands, a gourmet and fresh food market, an annex of the New York Transit Museum, and more than 40 retail stores.
For the attached subway station, see Grand Central–42nd Street (New York City Subway).
For other stations known as "Grand Central Station", see Grand Central Station (disambiguation).
but may also refer to the Grand Central–42nd Street subway station that is located next to the terminal.
The name was also used for the renovated Grand Central Depot, from 1900 until its demolition in 1903.